Made from the natural byproducts of coconut cultivation (crushed coconut husks), this premium coconut coir product is a renewable and sustainable alternative to peat moss (sphagnum). Prococo CocoChip's high moisture retention, mildly acidic pH and long-term effectiveness make it a fantastic choice for bedding, soil mediums, soil amendments and landscaping uses. Advantages to using coconut coir are numerous:
- Coco coir is free of bacterial and fungal spores, so you will not introduce diseases into the garden or greenhouse.
- Easy to hydrate. It decreases water and nutrient usage. Ideal for growing specialty products such as mushrooms and microgreens.
- It has a pH of between 5.6 and 6.8. Many plants and microbes prefer mildly acidic soil. This pH allows plant roots to easily absorb nutrients.
- Coir improves the overall quality of soil. With repeated applications or in the correct mix rates, soil will become more friable and loose.
- It is resistant to mold and mildew. Prococo products are sterilized during production. Its low salt content limits salt buildup/burning.
- CocoChip Blocks are ideal when making custom soil mixtures. It can be mixed with potting soil, compost and other grow mediums/amendments to support the plants being grown.
CocoChip can also be mixed with other types of coir and used as bedding for pets and livestock. Large animals like horses will find this coir comfortable in their stalls and small animals like reptiles will be equally pleased to find this in their habitats. The larger chips in these blocks are ideal for use in snake terrariums to help snakes shed old skin. The added humidity offered by coco coir aids in egg incubation, as well.